Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Serving the City, Being the Church

This weekend our church canceled it's regular services and went out into the city of Lake Elsinore to serve the city! It's an amazing event and one of my favorite things our church does because I know it pleases the Lord so much to see his church serving the poor and needy.

Adam (as usual) was partnered with Dan and they ran the whole event answering calls and delivering extra supplies and directing trash pick up and what not. I was placed on team number one (there were 52 teams in all) and we went to take down the old pump house (you can see the article in the Californian here  as I don't know all the details)

My job (along with a few other ladies) ...
...was to make sure every board was labeled to make re-assembly much easier. 

It was a great system until the age of the wood started to show and boards started to splinter in to multiple pieces
(But we made it through with tape and lots and lots of labeling!)

So with the girls on the inside labeling and the boys on the out side removing the walls we got started


Here's the progression of the house coming down as I was able to capture it:












and then here's our team at the end on the slab


So now the "house" is being stored at Pioneer Lumber (apparently that's where the wood was purchased from) until plans can be set and re-assembly can resume at its new home by city hall!

Again, I am so thankful to be a part of a church that allows us to really BE the church in action  and not just go to church and sit. 

3 comments:

Amber Marie said...

that's awesome Sarah. I esp love how you guys canceled Sunday morning service to do this.

Anonymous said...

Sarah, thanks for a great post with great pictures. I was out of town and was sad to miss the day. Seeing all your photos made it seem like I was there.Marty

Anonymous said...

plans can be set and re-assembly can resume at its new home by city hall!
Dumpster Rental